Let’s just say it, flirting is an art. It is fun, provocative, sexy and is done for more reasons than to show interest in the opposite (or same) sex. It is an incredible way to communicate and many reasons lie behind our motivations to flirt. The following are my top five reasons women flirt:
1) She is interested in you! It could be that simple and straight forward. Maybe she wants a one-night-stand, a lifetime partner or just a date. Whatever she may be looking for, she likes what you’re offering and wants you to take notice!
2) To make you feel better about yourself! Women are (sometimes) generous, empathetic creatures. Maybe she saw you standing alone at a party. Maybe she knows you just broke up with your last girlfriend and you need some confidence stroking. Or maybe she just feels for you because your dating pool has dried up a bit. Feeling sorry for a man definitely brings out the caretaker in women – so just soak it up and enjoy the pity flirt!
3) To get a free drink (or free anything) from you! I know, I know it sounds shallow! But women aren’t stupid. They know that all they have to do is give you a smile, pretend to listen to what you have to say about your start-up internet company, and they will get a drink that doesn’t cost a penny – only a few laughs, some light touches on your arm and a wink or two. If you are lucky the flirting will continue for a second round – and maybe, just maybe you’ll charm her and #1 will take hold.
4) To make another man jealous! Women know men are competitive, want what they can’t have and more importantly, want what someone else has! Flirting with you could be a ploy to get that guy across the room to notice her. It’s mean, it’s selfish – but it works. Just make sure you’re in on the game, or your face could end up with some egg on it.
5) Ego boost! Women are unfortunately known for low self-esteem. Nobody wants to admit it, denial is always present – but once in a while women just have to get validation that they “still got it.” What better way than to have a man flirt back! It does not matter if the man is her type as long as he gives her the attention she craves for the moment. If this seems to be the flirting you are encountering don’t walk away, just indulge her for a bit and go for it – if anything it will make both of your ego’s flutter!